Below are the homework expectations for 3/4 students for 2018, other elements may be added over the course of the year.
3/4 Home Reading Expectations
- Reading at least 20 minutes each day
- Reading to be logged in diary each day (Monday to Friday), on the right hand page.
- A parent is to sign or initial to show that reading has been done
- Students are responsible for maintaining reading log
Reading log should include the following information:
[Time spent reading] [Book title, Pages or chaptersread] [Easy,Just Right or Too Hard] [Parent’s signature]
|20 mins||Charlotte’s Web, Pages 35-58||JR||J. Smith|
3/4 Home Writing Expectations
- The following two activities should occur once a week and each take no more than 20 minutes each
- Work to be placed in homework book , reading response on the left hand page.
- Students are responsible for maintaining homework book
Word work on the right hand page:
This word means ______________________________________________
I can use this word in a sentence. _________________________________________________________
Synonym – A word that means something similar is _________________________________
Word connection – Words that have similar parts, words that have this word inside it. _____________________
Reading Response on the left hand page:
1st Paragraph: Recount of what you have read.
Recounts are a way of retelling important parts of what you have read. When you are planning your recount, think about the important and interesting parts. Recounts are usually written in the order in which they happened. This is called chronological order.
To do this you will have to use time connectives such as: firstly, next, then, after that,
Thinks to remember are:
- Are the events in time order?
- Is it in the past tense?
- Does it use time connectives? e.g. firstly, next, then, after that, meanwhile, eventually, later, finally
2nd Paragraph: Personal response to what you have read.
That is really what reading is all about – reacting to what is being said and to how the author says it! You relate the ideas, feelings and events in a passage to your own ideas, feelings and experiences. You also record your personal response to what you have read.
Thinks to remember are:
- What connections did I make?
- How do I feel about what I read?
Any further questions, please get in touch with me!